Training in Somatic Experiencing®
Somatic Experiencing is now part of the continuing education program of the Order of Psychologists of Quebec.
Training in Somatic Experiencing® in Montreal
Excellence in Trauma Resolution
The Foundation for Human Enrichment was established in 1997 by Dr. Peter Levine to provide individuals, families, and communities with effective tools for transforming overwhelming traumatic experiences.
Somatic Experiencing® (SE) offers a new and hopeful vision of trauma. A short-term, naturalistic approach to the resolution of trauma developed by Dr. Peter Levine, SE is based upon the observation that wild prey animals, though threatened routinely, are rarely traumatized. The most primitive portions of the brain are activated when a person perceives threat. At the same time, certain higher areas in the cortex associated with language, observation and planning are shut down. Animals in the wild utilize innate mechanisms to regulate and discharge the high levels of energy arousal associated with survival behaviours. “Modeling” the animals’ built-in “immunity” to trauma enables people to return to equilibrium in the aftermath of fear, rage, helplessness, loss and other extreme experiences.
Although humans are born with virtually the same regulatory mechanisms as animals, the function of these innate systems is often overridden or inhibited. Our reluctance to surrender to the instinctual prevents the complete discharge of survival energies. The un-discharged energy remains “stuck” in the body and the nervous system. In bringing together the highest cerebral functions of refined awareness with the primitive animal instincts, we are able to develop our own natural ability to rebound after extreme events. Transforming trauma in this way allows us to become more fully human.
Certifiction requirements for Somatic Experiencing®
SE training is open to individuals in the Helping and Healing Professions which include, but are not limited to: Psychologists, Psychotherapists, Medical Doctors, Nurses, Physiotherapists, Massage Therapists and Body Workers, Body Workers, Social workers and other related professionals.
Each Beginner and Intermediate level is four days in length.
• Understand the physiological basis of trauma.
• Learn about containment, resourcing and empowerment.
• Study tracking skills, titration and establishing continuity through the felt sense.
• Practice establishing defensive orienting responses, completion and discharge.
• Explore coupling dynamics, the elements of internal experience (SIBAM), and integrating experiential polarities, in order to restore creative self-regulation.
• Be able to identify, normalize, and stabilize traumatic reactions.
• Attain skills to avoid pitfalls of re-traumatization and false memory.
• Learn to uncouple fear from immobility; re-establish and maintain healthy boundaries.
• Investigate the transformative qualities of trauma.
• Integrate trauma work into ongoing therapy.
• Acquire short-term solutions to acute and chronic symptoms.
Examine the different categories and causes of traumatic shock and approaches to treating each case including :
• Global High Intensity Trauma i.e. surgery, electrocution, hallucinogens, drowning, suffocation, strangulation, fetal distress, traumatic birth, intrauterine stress, and invasive medical procedures in utero.
• Inescapable Attack i.e. by wild animals, rape, war, bombings, physical abuse, mugging, incest, molestation.
• Physical Injury i.e. surgery, anesthesia, burns, poisoning, hospitalizations, stabbing, gunshot wounds.
• Failure of Physical Defense i.e. falls, high impact accidents, head injury.
• Emotional Trauma i.e. severe neglect and abandonment, severe loss, ongoing abuse.
• Natural Disasters i.e. earthquakes, fires, tornadoes, floods, social dislocation from the natural world and community.
• Horror i.e. seeing an accident (especially with blood, gore), watching someone else be abused, raped, killed or tortured, killing or hurting someone yourself.
• Torture and Ritual Abuse i.e. war torture, repeated rape in war, concentration camp, and systematic abuse (sometimes with the person drugged).
• Learn about the relationship of trauma to various clinical syndromes.
• Further integrate SE theory and practice into the specialty area of the therapist.
• SE bodywork in working with the different categories of trauma.
• Application of research in the psychophysiology of trauma.
Level Hours of training Individual sessions Supervision
Beginner 72 hours 4 hours 4 hours
Intermediate 72 hours 4 hours 6 hours
Advanced 72 hours 4 hours 8 hours
Total (3 ans) 216 hours
Individual Sessions in Somatic Experiencing
are offered by Claire-Khudai Dagenais
SEP (Somatic Experiencing Practionner)
Costs of the training:
Beginner Two: If payment is made before May 10 : $825 + taxes= $948, after this date 875+taxes= $1006
Other Beginner and Intermediate Modules: Same as above if paid one month before the module begins.
The Advanced six day modules will take place elsewhere in Canada or the US.
Personal and individual case consultation sessions: cost to be announced.
Venue is at: Centre Saint Pierre 1212 Panet street, Montreal H2I 2Y7 ( Beaudry metro station)
For information : Claire Khudai Dagenais. SEP, Montreal training coordinator firstname.lastname@example.org
February 8-11, 2019
June 7-10, 2019
September 13-16, 2019
New Training in Somatic Experiencing with Linda Stellte
Beginner I: April 03-06, 2020
Beginner II: September 25-28, 2020
Beginner III: January 29 – February 2, 2021
Intermediate I: May 28-31, 2021
Intermediate II: October 22-25, 2021
Intermediate III: February 25-28, 2022
The Trainer : Berns Galloway BSc, BEd, MEd, CCC has been working clinically with individuals and groups for over 15 years. He has extensive experience training volunteer counselors and supervising graduate students. Incorporating SE into his life has offered Berns the opportunity to more fully experience mind-body practices and non-dual psychotherapeutic perspectives, enriching his life and those who work with him. Berns has facilitated SE Trainings in Canada, United States, Australia and Asia.